True Manhood PT. 1

Scripture says that in the last days, there will be some who lead you astray with "ear tickling" words. Words that sound good, and appeal to you at some base level.

You might call these "Catch Phrase" teachers. Sort a few motivational concepts into an appealing order, and add some scripture to make a point… Some of it may be true, but it leads men astray.

How do we train "True Men"?

Well, teach them to trust the Bible, and filter everything through it, of course!

So here is a starting point for understanding biblical manhood from scripture… You go back and look at the verses below in 2 or 3 versions and see if I have it right! This is what real men do!

To understand Manhood, you must understand man’s purpose. Both in the OT, and the NT.  To wrestle with these is the beginning of understanding manhood. Because you will learn about the things to which it’s worthwhile to give your life.

I am going to give it to you paraphrased and imperfectly…

First, Jesus’ words:
  • Turn away from a life that is about you, because I am the power of God, who rules all of you, and all of every inch of the earth! (Matt. 4:17)
  • Follow me literally. My Words and my Ways. Do what I do and obey what I say. (Matt. 4:19-23)
  • If you do this, than I will make you to be effective recruiters of men and women into my kingdom! Which is the highest of all work! (Matt. 4:19-21; 5:16&19; Matthew 7:end)
  • I want you to preserve the lives of men and women by the way you live among them.(Matt. 5:13)
  • I want you to live and explain the truth of my saving relationship with them! Just like a light! (Matt. 5:14)
  • Each of you individually go and put forth effort, and make more followers of Me! First, making sure they turn away from their old lives. Secondly making sure they trust in my saving work to accomplish this. And lastly, teach them in such a way that they can obey all these things I have told you! Be a spiritual parent!(Matt. 28:18-20).
So what happened when you filtered the motivational book through those commands? Got anything left? If you have, hold onto it! It agrees with scripture! If it doesn't really fit Jesus' primary teaching to His men… then let it go…

This is key to biblical manhood.
Next, the posture of manhood...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relegating the Cross to Easter