the Cross and Humility
DA Carson "We need never ask what kind or how much humility is normal, natural, or necessary. It comes naturally when we are close to Christ. It is a natural response to sitting at the foot of the cross. It is necessary if we are to shed self, and count Him as worth the loss of all else.”
Sitting at the foot of the cross… The purity and simplicity of devotion to Christ means we shove other things out of our view so that we have the scope and focus to look, listen, linger at the person and work of Christ.
The longer we linger, the greater our realizationt of the glory of Christ! When I sit at the foot of the cross, I am sitting where the cataclysmic events began. Where wrath was invited, and guilt gathered. Where corruption was brought to the surface and the holiness of Christ was unleashed like a purifying ocean as His blood was shed by whips, by thorns, by nails, by sword.
The longer we linger, the greater our realizationt of the glory of Christ! When I sit at the foot of the cross, I am sitting where the cataclysmic events began. Where wrath was invited, and guilt gathered. Where corruption was brought to the surface and the holiness of Christ was unleashed like a purifying ocean as His blood was shed by whips, by thorns, by nails, by sword.
And I recognize experientially that I am small, and remarkably that I am loved!
Comments