False Prophets

"They have also healed the hurt of my daughter slightly, saying 'Peace, Peace…", when there is no peace." Jeremiah 6:14

There are phrases we want to hear from friends, pastors, mature believers when life is wrong

"It will work out, God is gracious".
"Don't worry"
"God loves you"

Grace words. Popular words in today's church. At times, they can be very appropriate. When the sin of the world presses in on us, and others selfishness impacts us in painful ways. When the cumulative results of sin in our physical world cause destruction, I may need your reminder of my Lord's grace like a compass needle pointing me back to the true nature of the one I follow…

But in today's church, I hear a lot of misapplication of the grace of peace. It usually goes like this. "This sin you are struggling with is not who you are! You are a saint" (True so far) "Turn your eyes away from the issue of your flesh, just (or only) focus on Him, His grace, and your identity in Christ" (Not a good application).

You see, the false prophet seeks to draw your attention away from the situation you are in, as if God did not orchestrate it by His sovereignty for your freedom through repentance, confession, and embracing truth. He or she will give you peace "slightly" in the form of self applied emotion like a bandaid on the God ordained wound. Satan has no passion for believers working out their salvation by trusting in the power of the cross.

What if my circumstances are the thing God has lovingly constructed to lead me out of a pattern of sin. What if the pain I am experiencing, when fully faced trusting His grace, is the vehicle for maturing the new man?

Then "peace, peace", is pablum for children, keeping me young and immature. Keeping me in bondage to current sin. Keeping me confused about the broken areas of my life…

I'd rather turn away from a slight peace, and embrace a great pain, because I trust Him to bring a gracious outcome...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sorrow for sin is another topic. I've been praying for someone else for over 30yrs and as always praying for more time on this earth for a heart of change, but when no heart of change happens/fruit/drainage for those whom take care of them....so a person continues to pray. Death faces all of us and God chooses the path at his judgement. In my own sin do I welcome Christ's coming too soon to see the judgement of others? And not simply apply the plank to my own eye? Some days I wonder about that....

Popular posts from this blog

Relegating the Cross to Easter